Firstly and most importantly, we hope you are all safe and well. In this letter, which by necessity will be long so please read carefully, we will lay out how we are planning to return to classes.
We have to make a few changes to how Central usually operates but the safety of our students, staff and parents is of our main concern.
However, we must make it clear to parents that even with these measures in place to minimise contact between students, staff and parents, we can not completely eliminate the risk to your child whilst on premises, and indeed no school can.
How will Parents/Carers Drop Off and Pick Up
- With our new measures we cannot permit any Parent/Carer to enter the premises. Parents/Carers will be required to drop their child off at their allocated Studio entrance where your child will be escorted to their appropriate class.
- Taking into consideration the age of our youngest students in Toddlers Music & Movement and First Tap & Ballet, Parents/Carers will be permitted to enter the foyer of the church to drop their child off. They will be greeted by the teacher. However, no changing facilities will be available, so pleased come ready & dressed for class. May we request all Parents/Carers wear a face covering when entering the building.
- All students will be asked to either wash their hands or use hand sanitizer on arrival. Their temperature may be taken.
- Students will be brought to their allocated Studio exit for collection by their Parent/Carer. All Parents/Carers are required to wait outside the building.
- We ask all Parent/Carers to be prompt with arrival/collection times and observe social distancing whilst waiting. Late arrival may result in the student not being permitted to enter.
- If exceptional circumstances require a Parent/Carer to enter the building we request a face covering to be worn.
How Will Students Enter The Studio
- The entrance/exit for Studio 1 (downstairs) & Drama students will be from the grass entrance opposite the Multi-Story Car Park.
- The entrance/exit for Studio 2 (upstairs) will be from New Road opposite the Library.
- Unfortunately due to the current situation, the Ursuline is temporarily not able to permit us to use Studio 3. We have secured the temporary use of the Brentwood Theatre to cover classes on Tuesdays, Fridays & Saturdays. Monday & Thursday classes will now be in Studio 1 for the time being.
- The entrance/exit for the Brentwood Theatre is Shenfield Road opposite the doctor’s surgery. Students will enter/exit the Theatre at the main entrance. Parents will be permitted to drive in to the car park to drop off/collect but as it is not the Theatre’s car park will be unable to park there to wait. If anyone coming from a distance needs available parking please speak to Nicola.
- As all Studio communal surfaces will be cleaned after each class, students will be asked to line up and wait outside the studio, socially distancing, until the Studio is ready and they are invited to enter.
- Students will enter and place their belongings in their allocated space around the Studio.
- We ask all Students come ready to dance with only a tracksuit or similar clothing to remove.
- Students will be allocated a dance space which they must remain in and not move about the Studio unless instructed to do so.
- For Modern lessons, all Students will be required to wear footwear. No bare feet will be permitted. Split Soled Jazz shoes or Ballet shoes will be expected to be worn.
- For floor exercises in Modern & Body Con lessons, a personal yoga mat will be required for the student to lie on.
- Students will need to bring their own hand sanitizer for use during class.
- Teachers will refrain from hands on correction, and remain in the allocated teaching area within the studio during class.
- We have dedicated toilets for each studio which will be cleaned in between classes. Studio 1 will use the disabled toilet in the garden foyer. Studio 2 will use the toilets in the New Road foyer and in the Brentwood Theatre students will use the disabled toilet front of house.
- It has been necessary to make timetable adjustments to accommodate the changes we need to implement. There will be a sufficient gap between classes to allow for cleaning and change over of students. Some lessons have been shortened to accommodate this.
- You may find your child has been moved up to the next grade or asked to attend class on a different day. This is necessary as we have had to limit the number of students permitted to dance in each lesson. By doing this we can accommodate all students back to class.
- All students to attend class in their usual uniform.
- Please make sure clothing is fresh and clean for each class.
- If a student has two or more consecutive classes they will not be expected to change leotards or tights, just footwear.
- As mentioned, Split Soled Jazz shoes or Ballet shoes will be required for Modern and a Yoga mat for floor exercises. Please have your own hand sanitizer for use during class.
- It is our standard practice to request all students have securely tired hair but in present circumstances this is imperative.
- For the initial first term we will be unable to open our school shop on Saturdays. If you need to purchase uniform orders will be taken by email.
- Please email your order to email@example.com stating if you prefer new or second hand items. All second hand items are washed, ironed (if appropriate) and quarantined before available for purchase.
- Orders will be bagged up ready for collection from the New Road foyer of the United Reformed Church on Saturday mornings between 10.00-11.15am.
- There will be no changing facilities to try on goods so any goods that need to be returned must be returned in their original packaging and will then be quarantined for a week. Exchanges and refunds will only be given if items are returned unworn in original packaging.
- Ballet Shoes are available in half sizes and two width fittings. Normally order 1 ½ times larger than shoe size.
- Payment must be in correct cash only and receipts will be placed in the
- If ordering Character Skirts (for Grade 1-8 Ballet) please give waist and length (2 inches under the knee) measurements when ordering.
- When collecting goods only one person is permitted to enter the New Road foyer at a time. A face covering must be worn when entering the building.
- If any student is showing any symptoms of Covid-19 please do not send them to class and notify us immediately so we can notify all parents who that student has come in to contact with.
- If a student or staff member develops symptoms compatible with coronavirus (COVID-19), they will be sent home and advised to self-isolate for 10 days and arrange to have a test to see if they have coronavirus COVID-19. This can be done by visiting UK to arrange or contact NHS 119 via telephone if internet access if not available. Household members should self-isolate for 14 days.
- If the student or staff member tests negative, they can return to the studio and the their household members can end their self-isolation.
- If the student or staff member tests negative but is unwell, they should not return to the studio until they are recovered.
- If any student has a high temperature when their temperature is taken on arrival or displays any Covid-19 symptoms whilst on the premises their Parent/Carer will be contacted to collect them immediately. All Parent/Carers of students within the class will be notified.
- Please make sure we have your up-to-date contact details, especially mobile telephone numbers.
- All staff have completed a Coronavirus (Covid-19) Awareness course.
- Central’s Designated Safeguarding Lead is Nicola Baines who can be contacted either by email – Nicola@centralschoolofdance.co.uk or phone -07494 750903 should any student or parent/carer have any cause for concern.
- We will not be scheduling any Graded exams next term.
- This is due to students not having sufficient studio classes for at least 5 months. We feel, due to the situation, and so many children having their lives turned upside down that the pressure of working towards an exam, within a term and the uncertainty of any further Corona Virus lockdowns is too much.
- We will progress students on to the next Grade after Christmas without the need to take the exam if we feel it is suitable.
- Students who were due to take Intermediate and Advanced 1 Modern and Tap exams in March 2020 which were cancelled will be offered, permitting, to take their examinations in November 2020, together with possibly Ballet Grades 6, 7 & 8 and major exams depending on the RAD decision.
- We are very sad to announce we will unlikely be able to put on our usual Bi-Annual Production in 2021. This is due to not knowing when Theatres will be able to open & the booking availability.
- A Production is a huge undertaking with enormous cost and due to this uncertainty we feel it may be advisable to defer our next Bi-Annual Show until 2022.
- We know this will cause huge disappointment, especially to students whose last show it would have been, but we hope you can all understand our situation.
- We have decided to produce a smaller senior performance at the Brentwood Theatre hopefully next June/July if circumstances allow.
- We will keep you updated if we manage to get a booking and are able to confirm this will go ahead. We will also notify the higher senior grades who will be involved.
- It is with a heavy heart that we will be presently unable to offer our Musical Theatre classes. Under the current circumstances we are delaying the start of these lessons until January 2021.
- Our termly In-Step booklet will only be available on-line next term – www.centralschoolofdance.co.uk.
- Please make sure you read through carefully as more up-to-date news, term dates and potential examination news etc will be included.
If you have any questions or further queries about our return to classes, please do not hesitate to contact us – firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your child/ren will not be returning to Central next term please could you let us know as soon as possible as we are having to limit the number of students that are able to participate in each class and it would help greatly in our organisation to know if a student does not intend to return.
We look forward to welcoming you back. We have really missed you all.
We would like to thank both parents and students for your continued support during these difficult times.
Nicola & Hazel